The membership covenant of Harvest Bible Chapel North Indianapolis is birthed out of a desire to honor Christ and give loving care and spiritual direction for the church body and its individual members (1 Peter 5:1-4; Hebrews 13:7, 17; Acts 2:42-47). The primary purpose of this covenant is to express common commitment to the Word of God and to fellow believers who are called to worship God in this community of faith.
The church exists to display the glory of God and the supremacy of Christ Jesus over all things. Those of us who trust and follow Jesus are caught up in something much bigger than ourselves. We have been graciously invited into God's redemptive purpose and mission in this world through the church. In light of this reality, the opportunity to join a local church is much more than a commitment to consistent attendance or active involvement. It is a sacred call to join with the faith family of God to pursue God's purpose and mission together. Therefore, membership at Harvest Bible Chapel is a participation in a family that exists to glorify God by making disciples of all nations.
STATEMENT OF BASIC BELIEFS:
The following beliefs represent the core doctrinal truths of Christianity as they have been consistently accepted from a biblical and historical perspective. Agreement with these beliefs is essential for covenant membership at Harvest while the explicit rejection of any one of these would disqualify one from membership.
- The Bible is God's book that reveals Him and His will. It is true, authoritative, and sufficient. (Psalm 19:7-11; 2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1: 20-21)
- There is only one God. (Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 45:5-6, 46: 9-10; John 17:3; 1 Corinthians 8:4-6; 1 Timothy 2:5)
- The Father is God. The Son is God. The Holy Spirit is God. The Father is neither the Son nor the Holy Spirit. The Son is neither the Father nor the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is neither the Father nor the Son. (Genesis 1:26; Psalm 45:6-7; Psalm 110:1; Matthew 3:13-17; Matthew 28:17-20; 1 Corinthians 12:4-6)
- I am, along with all humanity (Christ excluded), by birth and action a sinner. (Genesis 6:5; Psalm 51:5; Jeremiah 17:9; Romans 3:23, 5:8,12-21, 7:18; Ephesians 2:1-3)
- The deserved penalty for sin is death, both physical and spiritual. (Genesis 2:15-17, 3:19; Romans 5:12, 6:23; James 1:14-15)
- Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, was born of a virgin, and is both fully God and fully human. (Matthew 1:20; Luke 2:52; John 1:1-4,14; Colossians 1:15-20; Hebrews 1:1-3)
- Jesus Christ died as a substitute to pay the penalty for my sin. (John 1:29, 10:1-18; Romans 5:8; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Galatians 1:4; 1 Peter 3:18)
- Jesus Christ physically rose from the dead. (Matthew 28:1-20; Mark 16:1-8; Luke 24:1-53; John 1:20-25; 1 Corinthians 15:12-34)
- Jesus Christ physically ascended into heaven and will one day physically return. (John 14:3; Acts 1:11; 1 Thessalonians 4:26; 1 John 3:2; Revelation 1:7)
- There will be a physical resurrection of the dead. Those who trust in Jesus Christ alone will be raised to eternal reward. Those who have not trusted in Jesus Christ alone will be raised to eternal punishment. (Matthew 25:31-46; John 5:28-29; Acts 24:15)
- Only by trusting in the person and work of Jesus Christ alone can I be reconciled to God and experience true life and joy. (John 3:16-18, 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:21-26; 1 Timothy 2:5-6)
While the doctrines expressed in the Statement of Basic Beliefs are those that are recognized to be universal and primary within the church, and thus are essential for member agreement, it should be recognized that the full Harvest Bible Chapel Doctrinal Statement explains these beliefs in greater detail and provides direction on other secondary beliefs as well. The full HBC Doctrinal Statement provides the direction and boundaries for the teaching, counsel, and ministry at Harvest. It is the responsibility of HBC covenant members to read the full HBC Doctrinal Statement in its entirety and address any comments, questions, or concerns with an elder or pastor.
STATEMENT OF LEADERSHIP COMMITMENTS:
As shepherds and overseers of a local church, elders are entrusted with protecting, leading, equipping, and caring for the corporate church body and her individual members. The following is a statement of covenant responsibility from our elders to the church family regarding doctrine, direction, and discipleship.
As elders, we covenant...
- To appoint elders and deacons (including staff members who serve in these offices) according to the criteria assigned to them in the Scriptures (1 Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4)
- To prayerfully seek God's will for our church and steward her resources to the best of our ability based on our study of the Scriptures and by following the Holy Spirit (Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:1-4)
- To care for the church and seek her growth in grace, truth, and love (Matthew 28:16-20; Ephesians 4:15-16; Colossians 1:28; James 5:14; 1 Peter 5:1-4; Hebrews 13:17)
- To provide teaching and counsel from the whole of Scripture (Acts 20:27-28; 1 Timothy 4:16; 2 Timothy 4:1-5; Titus 2:1)
- To equip the members of the church for the work of ministry (Ephesians 4:11-16)
- To be on guard against false teachers and teachings (Matthew 7:15; Acts 20:28-31; 1 Timothy 1:3-7; 1 John 4:1)
- To lovingly exercise discipline when necessary, for the glory of God, the good of the one disciplined, and the health of the church as a whole (Matthew 18:15-20; 1 Corinthians 5; Galatians 6:1; James 5:19-20; Titus 3:9)
- To set a humble example and join members in fulfilling the obligations of church membership stated hereafter (Philippians 3:17; 1 Timothy 4:12; Titus 2:7-8; 1 Peter 5:3; Hebrews 13:7, 17)
POSITION STATEMENTS FROM OUR ELDERS:
COVENANTS OF MEMBERSHIP:
AS A MEMBER, I COVENANT TO WORSHIP CHRIST PERSONALLY AND AS A PART OF THIS CHURCH FAMILY!
- To pursue Christ and His Word in relationship and under His authority (Psalm 119; 2 Timothy 3:14-17; 2 Peter 1:19-21; 1 Corinthians 9:24-27; Ephesians 5:1-21; 1 Thessalonians 5:12-22)
- To be part of this baptized, regenerate community that makes disciples and worships together regularly around the Lord's Supper (John 3:3; Acts 2:42-47, 8:38, 10:44-48; Matthew 28:18-20; 1 Timothy 2:2; Psalm 67:1-2; John 4:22-24; Hebrews 10:22-24; Luke 22:7-23; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26)
AS A MEMBER, I COVENANT TO WALK WITH CHRIST PERSONALLY AND AS A PART OF THIS CHURCH FAMILY!
- To disciple and care for one another in corporate worship gatherings and small groups (Hebrews 10:22-25; Romans 12:9-13; Ephesians 6:18-20)
- To pursue holiness and reject unrighteousness in our attitudes and actions as we live our lives in front of each other and the community around us (1 Peter 1:13-18; Romans 1:28-32, 13:13, 14:14-23; Galatians 5:19-23; Ephesians 5:18; James 3:1-18; 1 Corinthians 8:1-13)
- To commit to a biblical lifestyle of purity and definition in regard to marriage -- both before marriage and during the covenant relationship (Romans 13:11-14; 1 Corinthians 6:15-20; Ephesians 5:3; 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8; Hebrews 13:4)
- To pursue unity in the body of Christ and submit to the leadership of the church by cooperating, praying, and following direction as the flock is shepherded according to Scripture (Ephesians 4:1-3; Hebrews 12:5-11, 13:7, 17; 1 Peter 5:5; Matthew 18:15-20; Psalm 141:5; 1 Corinthians 5:9-13)
AS A MEMBER, I COVENANT TO WORK FOR CHRIST PERSONALLY AND AS A PART OF THIS CHURCH FAMILY!
- To intentionally steward the resources that God has entrusted to me -- my time, talents, spiritual gifts, and finances (Matthew 25:14-20; Romans 12:1-2; 2 Corinthians 8-9; 1 Peter 4:10-11)
- To commit to intentional involvement in God's mission by shouldering regular Kingdom responsibility of service within the church ministry (1 Peter 4:10-11; Romans 12:3-8; 1 Corinthians 12:1-31; Ephesians 4:1-16)
AS A MEMBER, I COVENANT TO WITNESS FOR CHRIST PERSONALLY AND AS A PART OF THIS CHURCH FAMILY!
- To know and be able to articulate the truth of the gospel for the purpose of sharing Christ with others
- To pursue purposeful engagement and activity in God's mission by sharing the gospel both locally and globally as God would allow (Psalm 67:1-7; Acts 1:8; Malachi 1:11; Matthew 28:18-20; Romans 15:20-23)
Please complete the following application for membership: